Friday, June 14, 2013

Five For Friday (June 14)


Happy Friday Everyone! It has been a busy day of working in my new classroom today so now that I am home sitting, I decided to link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching's Five for Friday.



Last week I linked up and blogged about what I was going to do this coming week. (You can click here if you would like to read it before going on.)  Now we are going to see if I got done what I said I was going to do.  J 
Drum Roll Please ..........
1. I decided I was going to take on re-doing our patio chairs.
Well, I accomplished a little bit (I mean a little bit) of this project. (You never really realize how long something is going to take until you start working on it.) I spend one and a half hours ripping the seams out of the back material of the chair so that I would know how much to cut but also how to sew it back up again.

This piece turned out pretty good. I need to make sure the next one is a little tighter before putting the screws through the material.
Once I got the back on, I decided that I would continue with the seat part. I began ripping the seams out of that too but then thought MAYBE the piece is the same size as the back of the chair. So I went over to the other piece and laid it down on top and did an estimate (just like we do with our students) without ripping the rest of the seams and decided, YES, it should be the same size.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  I sewed it all and went to put the chair bottom on and it was 2 inches too short. 
WHAT???? 
As a person who sews, I should have known better but I wanted to get this one chair DONE.  Now I only have a back to the chair done and I need more material.  Shopping I will go on Monday.
2.  Find the leak in the pool ~ Did not get that found yet but my neighbor who is 5 years old, has really enjoyed swimming in our pool because she can stand up and play without floaties. My children also got in on the fun with her.
3.  Monday and Friday were my days to go to school to decide my theme for my classroom and to organize the closet. I finished working on three of my bulletin boards. Two of them are a light blue color and the top bulletin board is a light green.
4.  Also today I decided to work on my cubbies. I bought some contact paper, cut it the right size and stuck it on. I only had one cubby hole that was hard because the teacher before me must have stored glue bottles in there because there was a spill and no one cleaned it up
 

so I had to scrape and scrub to get the dried glue up. UGH!  I even had to go find a band aid in another teacher's room because I cut my finger with the tool I was using. The final product turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.
  
5.  Continuing to read Debbie Miller's Reading With Meaning! I am really enjoying her book and I'm going back to reread September and October chapters so that I can start planning my lessons for comprehension.
 
We shall see what next week bring's. Hopefully harvest will start. That will keep me very busy for about two weeks.
 Until Next Time,
          Happy Blogging

8 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy! I just found your blog through "Five For Friday". I am in awe of your deck chairs - they're beautiful! I wish I could sew. Hope you get your pool fixed up soon!

    Corrina
    From Mrs. Allen’s Teaching Files

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment, Corrina. I will be over to visit yours soon. :) Take Care

      Delete
  2. I love finding new second grade teacher bloggers! I love your chairs!! They are going to be amazing. I admire that you tackled that project on your own! Your classroom cubbies turned out great as well. Don't you just hate it when you "inherit" other people's things and they don't take care of it? You made those cubbies shine again. Happy to be your newest follower.
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. I am very excited to get those chairs done but it will probably take the whole summer. I should have done them over winter break. :)

      Delete
  3. I sure wish I could sew. your chairs look great. I use a glue gun on EVERYTHING! Pretty awful. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using glue guns aren't that bad. Usually I can peel those off pretty easily. This white blob of glue was a bugger to get off. I even took some of the wood finish with it. Yikes!!! I'm glad that I covered it. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow...I really really really love the contact paper idea! I wonder if I could find polka dotted contact paper? The chairs you redid look great! You really never know exactly how long it takes to do something until you get your hands dirty! I always seem to find this out the hard way! Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I bet you can find contact paper on line that is polka dotted. I found mine at Target but they didn't have a big selection and no dots. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I really appreciate it. :)

      Delete