Thursday, June 6, 2013

Book Adventure


Do you have Accelerated Reader in your school (AR)?  Would you like your students to take comprehension tests after reading their books to see if they truly understood what they were reading?

At my school, we do not have AR so I have found a great place online that allows your students to take tests without any cost to you.  Yes, that is right.  It is FREE for you to use.  I love it and so do my students.  The site is called "Book Adventure" and it is monitored by Sylvan Learning.
 
As the students take tests, they earn points and they can receive awards from Sylvan Learning. I will say though that the awards are not very good so I usually don't use them. I give other incentives in my classroom for the students to reach goals.  What I do love about this program is that it tells the students right away whether they passed the test or not and it gives me good feedback on who I need to visit with more during my daily Reading and Conferring.  I hope you check this site out if you don’t have AR because it has really helped my students become eager readers. 
I wanted to give a shout out to MissV's Busy Bees Monday Make-It .
She got me thinking about how I could better my organization with Book Adventure by using her "Book Bin" idea for my student's books. 
Here is a picture of what she did.
Usually after my students finish a book, they have to come and get a sticky note, put their names on it and place it on their book. Once they have done that they place the book on my kidney table and wait for me to call their names to take their tests on the computer.  I'm sure you are thinking, "Well that sounds organized enough" but it is not. The majority of the time I am moving these books off of my kidney table so that I can meet with small groups of students or work one-on-one with students.  So I pick up all the books and pile them somewhere else where they are also going to be in the way later on.  Her "Book Bin" idea got me to thinking that I should have a basket where the students place their books when finished. That way I am not moving them from place to place all the time.  Check her blog post out if you are interested in her idea too.

I also want to give a shout out to Bunting, Books, and Bainbridge.
 
She is thinking about retiring her classroom website, not her blog, and wants everyone to know.  Go visit her blog and read her post about what is happening in her world.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and I hope that you can use something that I have posted.

Until Next Time,
          Happy Blogging

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted about Book Adventure! My new school doesn't have AR at the Primary building and I knew I wanted the kiddos to have some sort of comprehension tests to prepare them for AR in 3rd grade. This is perfect!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! If you have any questions about the site, just let me know. I will answer them the best that I know how.

      Delete