Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Daily 5 ~ Chapter 4

THE DAILY FIVE IN ACTION

YAY!!!!!

After having done this last year for the first time, this quote from page 47 is soooo true!!

"The tone for the entire year is established during the early weeks of school. When we take our time during this critically important period, moving slowly and thoughtfully to build a solid foundation, it pays off all year long." 

I love the lesson "Three Ways to Read a Book".  It really helped my English Language Learners in my classroom. They started to feel more confident in themselves because they were allowed to read the pictures and tell the story in words that they knew.  They also would read these books over and over again for continued practice when they were trying to read and learn the words. It was evident when I would confer with them one-on-one that they were becoming very comfortable with reading books one of the three ways.

After seeing all of the wonderful creations out in blogland for the D5, I decided to create one myself. Since my blog is called Butterfly Oasis, I have to incorporate butterflies into my designs SO I took an idea from The Teacher Wife (because I love her poster about "Getting Started" and want to use that next year.) Here is what I came up with for my class to remember what their brain need to be doing when they are reading.  This is one of my Focus Lessons that I MUST teach my students because they don't realize that they can talk/think inside their heads.




I have bought some Scrappin Doodle Clipart and a License to use it. I have not learned how to share my creations yet so that will be my next learning lesson with blogging.  If anyone would like to help me with that lesson, that would be wonderful. There is so much to learn with blogging and I would love to be able to share some ideas that I have. You can comment below or email me at tflickinger@usd259.net.  Also, if you would like this document, you can email me and I will send it your way. Thanks!

Okay, back to chapter 4.... I had such great success with Read to Self. Our district has a separate Reading and Conferencing time for our students so my Read to Self is not part of my Reading Block.  It is a separate 30 minutes of my day.  It did take us a while to build our STAMINA with Read to Self. It was not until Sept. 16 that we got to 10 minutes. (We started school August 17) No one in our building had every really trained their students to sit and do something for a long period of time.  I am hoping that this year we may go a little faster because our first grade teachers did try to build their students STAMINA last year. I was amazed by mid October that my students were reading for 20 minutes a day without moving.  There were even some days that I would let them read for 30 minutes. It was amazing to watch. They were so engaged in their books and they were learning to make those books become movies in their heads. That is another Focus Lesson that I taught my students.

Launching Read to Self:
If you follow these guidelines, your Read to Self time will be an enjoyable time for you and your students.

Focus Lesson:  Three ways to read a book
Brainstorm Read to Self Behaviors
Correct Model
Incorrect Model along with Correct Model
Build Stamina ~ 3 minutes (if you can)
Signal and Check in at the gathering spot
Model again
Build Stamina again ~ 3 minutes
Signal and Check in
Closure ~ Review their learning for the day.

And you will do all this on Day 1 of your launching of R to S. In the back of your book on page 111, you will see what I wrote above.  If you turn to page 119, it has it broking down for each day and what you will need to do. I LOVED this and copied it and put it with my lesson plans. It was a great reminder of what I needed to do each day with my students.

I hope I have helped you in someway with launching your Read to Self.

Until Next Time,
        Happy Blogging



11 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post! I really want to do d5 in my class however I am very nervous it is a big undertaking. I like healring your personal anecdotes. It gives me hope that I can actually do this as well. Id love to chat about the success you had with this when you get a chance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to chat with you. What would you like to start out with first? What is one of your main concerns?

      Delete
  2. Finally getting around to thanking you for my Versatile Blogger award. Thanks so much for nominating me. I really appreciate it. Great post about the Daily 5!

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I love your quote as well! When I student taught, it was so nice to work with a teacher that had all the routines in place. It made it so easy to teach! Hopefully, I can do as good as a job as she did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a student teacher this Fall and I am a little nervous about it. Hopefully she will do well with it. She will only be with me for 10 weeks and the other 8 weeks she will be in a pre-k classroom. I'm not really big on just having her for 10 weeks but we will see what we can do. I told her that her two week block of teaching will probably be closer to the end of the 10 weeks. I need to make sure that I get my routines in place for the whole year. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Hi Tammy! I see that you have started creating and I am trying to take that big leap! Can I ask you a couple of questions?? If you get a license from Scrappin' Doodles or other places can you use the graphics in items for sale on Tpt? Or can they just be freebies? I have been purchasing quite a bit from Lettering Delights but I know I can't use any of for sharing. I was just wondering :) Thanks!

    Yes, those first few weeks of school are precious and will make or break your whole year! How lucky that your student teacher will get to see everything that goes into creating a classroom community. I student taught in the Spring so I never got to see that in action until I had to do it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I student taught in the Spring too. It will be nice to have another set of hands at the beginning of the year. :)

      To answer your question ~ As I understood it, when I was reading the license part on the Scrappin' Doodles site, you can sale your documents on TpT as long as you have bought the license from them. I sure hope I read it right and that I paid for the right license. I think she had three different license to choose from. I'm not sure if I will ever get a TpT store. Right now I am starting small and trying to learn how to create all these wonderful items that everyone else is putting together. I hope that helps you. I will have to go to Lettering Delights and see what they have. I use a lot of DJ Inkers and they do not allow you to share or sell anything that has their graphic on it. Very strict with that.

      I have a question for you. How do you pin people's buttons to your blogs? I have tried different things and nothing has worked yet. Just wondering if you knew.

      Delete
  5. Yikes, I don't remember how to do that. I know I did at one point, but I was reading off a blog that walked me through it. I know it has to do with copying the IRL that people post after the button on their page and then adding it to your profile page. I will look into it and try to remember!

    Thanks for the info about licensing. I have been researching this for the past few days and it just didn't look like a license was feasible for me. You would have to sell a lot of items to make up for one professional license! Thanks for your help! ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I don't know if this will work but this is the best I can remember :)

    Go to your "Design" button at the top of your blog page. Then, click on "Layout" on the left hand side of the page. Individual bars come up for different parts of you blog, and mine has an "Add a Gadget" bar that if you click you can add things to your blog. Click on HTML/Java Script and you can copy and paste the information that shows up under someone's button into this area. Save and then view blog and it should show up. I just tried it and it worked again for me. I added "Crazy for First Grade"'s button to my page to try it out. Let me know if it works! Also, half way through this I realized you might be trying to add your own button, I don't know how to do that!! I'd feel super cool if I had one though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. I don't have a button yet for my page. I am going to work on getting a blog design first.

      Delete